Sunday, July 8, 2007

My first blogging experience

Well, I've decided to get a blog. It seems like everyone is doing it. I've never really gotten it, but I figured; why not? I guess this will just be an experiment. I don't know how often I will post, or how much, or if anyone will read it. But I enjoy writing.

I've decided that since I pretty much read the newspaper everyday, and I usually have something to say about what I've read, I'm going to pick out a story (or a few) that particularly interests me and write about it. I do this on my plan already, so I figured I'd make it more official and more accessible. The problem is that I only have time to read the New York Times and the Onion, so my news sources are a little slanted. Maybe this blog will force me to open up to other media. Anyways here goes:

The story that caught my eye today wasn't actually a story, but a quote:

“The Democratic Congress has lower ratings than President Bush,” said Senator Sam Brownback, Republican of Kansas. “You have to try hard to do that.” (From Nytimes article: Sensing a Shift, Reid Will Press for an Iraq Exit )

Now, the first thing I did was laugh. It seemed like Senator Brownback didn't know he was insulting Bush along with Congress. This guy is one of the most conservative people in the nation. He was referring to the public's lack of confidence with Congress after the failure to do anything about the war, along with other issues like immigration.

As I read the article further, I became frustrated at all the political jargon and mishaps that was being discussed. The democrats can't do anything about this war because Senator Lieberman sides with the Republicans when voting on the war and they don't want to draft bills cutting funding to the troops because they don't want to be seen as not supportive of our troops and people are now frustrated with Congress because they can't compromise on an immigration bill and... it seems to go on like that.

The article below this on the NYTimes daily headline mailing was; Bomb Levels Section of Iraqi Village, Killing 105 . Before even reading this article, which I couldn't finish because it was too horrible, I stopped and went back over in my mind what I had just read in the Reid article.

This people in Washington have so much power, yet they can't do anything to make real change. I don't agree with the war the US is fighting, but the US is still fighting it. Congress can't get bogged down in all these political battle while an average of 40.9 Iraqi civilians are dying each day, and that's an average from June, after the "number of civilians killed fell sharply" from May, where an average of 53.8 Iraqis died each day.

I don't know what I'm trying to say with all this. The US is in a huge mess, and I know we could be doing more than we are. That's all I'm trying to say.



I think I like blogs.

2 comments:

mark raderstorf said...

My first comment on a blog: We shall see what happens this week in Congress as there appear to be rumblings that the Dems will put on full court press, might as well as dealiest killings happened just yesterday; things aren't any safer there despite all our money and soldiers over there. I wish we could fast forward to November, 2008 and save all these lives.

Linda Armstrong/Mark Raderstorf said...

I noticed that Norm Coleman was still planning on voting to keep the troops in Iraq. It looks like the Democrats did finally pass a bill (in the house?) to bring home troops in Sept.