Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Not-So-Other Half

I just recently received a column from the Austin Chronicle from a friend here in Boulder, titled "Heartland" from the columnist Michael Ventura. I don't know much about Ventura's work, but he's been writing "Letters @ 3AM", where this column is taken from, for the LA Weekly and the Austin Chronicle for quite some time.

Anyways, I thought that this "Heartland" column was particularly insightful and I would suggest reading it if you have the time. It discusses Ventura's travels and his interactions with lower class people of the Southwest, people who haven't gotten out much or seen much. He profiles his interactions well, and is able to illustrate how even these lower class, non-educated workers are still people too. The one part I wanted to point out is the following, describing someone he met on a bus:

"A crusty old farmer – work boots, creased and bony hands, sunburned neck and face – was reading a pamphlet titled 'Government and God.' Somebody was speaking to him, and it wasn't me, and it wasn't anyone I knew or valued. How do you expect people to go your way if you don't even deign to notice them? That farmer was interested. He was reading a pamphlet. If I'd written a pamphlet directed to him, in terms he could understand, chances are he might be interested and read it. If we ignore him, why shouldn't he ignore us?"

I've always been disillusioned about something in America (or maybe the world) more than just politics, and I think this last quote describes my disillusionment well. Not only does our political system leave out a significant majority of people, but our culture as well. Most of the work I've come across, either academic or entertainment, has been created for the upper class, or at least the middle class on up.

I don't know who this "we" is that Ventura referred to, but I took it to mean America, at least main-stream America, the America we think of when we think of "America". The "we" of popular America has left those behind who have not kept up.

While reading this column, I was reminded of a quote from comedian and personal hero, Jon Stewart. In an interview (I think it was with Senator John McCain, but I can't remember), Stewart said that 80% of this country could get along if we just sat down and talked things out. And the other 20% run it.

And that is true, as illustrated by the people Ventura met in "Heartland". He was able to carry on conversations and form connections with the people he met, even though they were working class or lower class, and he is an author. Everyone really can relate to each other, but it takes effort. People continue to be generalized and pigeon-holded with the increasing polarization of this country (and this world), and it is a shame. Everyone has something to offer another, even if it is just a pamphlet. Or a blog.

2 comments:

Mark Root-Wiley said...

Amen!

When are you becoming a sociology major?

Linda Armstrong/Mark Raderstorf said...

If you haven't read Nickeled and Dimed--it very clearly demonstrates this points, and carefully describes "the other half's" lives